In between quilts…and a bit of tv

Sunday, productive Sunday.

I spent 5 hours blanket stitching the appliques on my new project and now I feel like I should search the web for a pair of brand new shoulders – mine are officially rubbish bin-material… 

The project I’m working on cannot be disclosed yet, as the lucky owner-to-be does not know what she’s getting – which means the pics will be posted in a couple of weeks 🙂

In the meantime I finished the lovely Kaffe Fasset bedspread I blogged about some time ago.. the centre is very simply quilted for added softness and cosiness, whilst the quilting on the border follows the paisley pattern and the flowers – I had a lot of fun doing it!

20131117_190847       20131117_190942

It’s so lovely and warm that I upgraded it from passive bedspread to Downton Abbey marathon sofa throw – a task that requires clench-resistance and snack-survival qualities that not all throws have these days…

And if you are D.A. fans, have a look at theMakower fabric range inspired by the tv series, I think it perfectly renders the Crowley girls spirit.. I’m thinking of getting the Dowager selection – I usually don’t go for dusty colours but these mauve shades are soooo cool and they would look nice in my living room… or maybe it is just because I find Maggie Smith’s character irresistible… She really brings shrewdness to a whole new level, don’t you think?

Advertisements

Quilt in a day (more or less…)

A couple of years ago I bought a fantastic kit for a bedspread from Tikki Patchwork  (lovely fabrics in a lovely area from lovely shop-owners… 🙂 )

Needless to say, after I started the wannabe-speedy quilt, life (and other projects..) got in the way and the half-assembled top was sent to hibernate in a box for almost 2 years.

20131014_133154

I’m now trying to clear some space -both in my flat and in my head! – to make room for new projects so my autumn resolution is to finish all the pending /unfinished/”artistic license”-d  quilts I’ve stacked in my sewing corner in…far too long to confess!

Last Sunday I finally added the outer border to the top and then sat down with a cup of tea to think about my options for the backing.

20131014_132937

Initially, this was supposed to be a low-ish budget project – the fabrics, all Kaffe Fasset and Rowan, were quite expensive and I didn’t want to invest more money in the bedspread than in the actual bed…! so last week I bought a bed sheet in a lovely shade of pomegranate red for the backing (£9 on a trusted online shop, cotton mix and most importantly colourfast).

The more I looked at the sheet, so plain and “all-red” close to the vibrant quilt top, the less I wanted to have a solid colour backing! I then remembered a modern/improvised quilt from Elizabeth Hartman which she teaches in her Craftsy course on modern quilts. I thought the quilt was very pretty and I like Elizabeth’s style very much, everything about her quilts is so neat and fresh, that I thought “this is my chance to go Hartman!”

As the leftovers from the quilt top were in fact pre-assembled strips, I didn’t do a proper improvised piecing, as in Elizabeth’s quilt, but I still wanted to reproduce the pods, so after slicing the bed sheet in a bit of an Edward-Scissorhand-on-redbull fashion, I assembled the whole thing and… here’s my red feast all ready for sandwiching 🙂

20131014_133029

The technique for the quilt top is shown and explained in this book from Eleanor Burns. I really like the Quilt in a Day technique, it’s surprisingly quick and easy and the results are stunning!

I am also quite pleased with the backing, and I am now impatient to sandwich it and start quilting it with an overall design – I might need another inspirational cup of tea first…!