A couple of years ago I bought a fantastic kit for a bedspread from Tikki Patchwork (lovely fabrics in a lovely area from lovely shop-owners… 🙂 )
Needless to say, after I started the wannabe-speedy quilt, life (and other projects..) got in the way and the half-assembled top was sent to hibernate in a box for almost 2 years.
I’m now trying to clear some space -both in my flat and in my head! – to make room for new projects so my autumn resolution is to finish all the pending /unfinished/”artistic license”-d quilts I’ve stacked in my sewing corner in…far too long to confess!
Last Sunday I finally added the outer border to the top and then sat down with a cup of tea to think about my options for the backing.
Initially, this was supposed to be a low-ish budget project – the fabrics, all Kaffe Fasset and Rowan, were quite expensive and I didn’t want to invest more money in the bedspread than in the actual bed…! so last week I bought a bed sheet in a lovely shade of pomegranate red for the backing (£9 on a trusted online shop, cotton mix and most importantly colourfast).
The more I looked at the sheet, so plain and “all-red” close to the vibrant quilt top, the less I wanted to have a solid colour backing! I then remembered a modern/improvised quilt from Elizabeth Hartman which she teaches in her Craftsy course on modern quilts. I thought the quilt was very pretty and I like Elizabeth’s style very much, everything about her quilts is so neat and fresh, that I thought “this is my chance to go Hartman!”
As the leftovers from the quilt top were in fact pre-assembled strips, I didn’t do a proper improvised piecing, as in Elizabeth’s quilt, but I still wanted to reproduce the pods, so after slicing the bed sheet in a bit of an Edward-Scissorhand-on-redbull fashion, I assembled the whole thing and… here’s my red feast all ready for sandwiching 🙂
The technique for the quilt top is shown and explained in this book from Eleanor Burns. I really like the Quilt in a Day technique, it’s surprisingly quick and easy and the results are stunning!
I am also quite pleased with the backing, and I am now impatient to sandwich it and start quilting it with an overall design – I might need another inspirational cup of tea first…!